Tuesday, April 1, 2008
She walks across the shiny tiled floor and plucks her pencil from her apron pocket. "Hi, I'm Belinda. What'll ya have?"

You look at the laminated menu and notice the All-Day Breakfast Special. For only $3.99 you get three eggs, bacon or sausage, toast and juice, accompanied by a bottomless cup of coffee. Sounds good. "Gimme the Breakfast Special."

"Fried, boiled or scrambled?"

"Scrambled."

"Bacon or sausage?"

"Brown or white?"

"Apple or orange?"

"Decaf or regular?"

In about ten minutes, you have a satisfying plate of Coronary Club for just under four bucks.

Let's mosey down the street to a high end cafe.

A carefully coiffed waiter approaches, handing over a leather-bound folder.

"Good morning, my name is Alphonse but you can call me Al." He slides into the booth and leans earnestly forward. "Our special this morning is the Petit Déjeuner a la New Orleans. It consists of fluffy, mouth-watering scrambled free-range Omega-3 eggs, three crisp slices of grain-fed pancetta, artisan bread toasted to golden perfection, unsweetened organic orange juice and a steaming cup of cappucino made from Fair Trade coffee beans, roasted on the premises."

"Sounds great. How much is it?"

"Only $13.99."

Hell, when you describe it like that, it must be worth the extra ten bucks! Imaginative copy writing has raised the lowly breakfast to a culinary delight.

In case you don't know where I'm going with this, let's discuss one of the Cardinal Sins of the Novel Writer: Telling instead of Showing.

Telling:

The weather was very hot.

Showing:
Cloying mist hung in the air while a blistering sun climbed above the hill behind them. Day after day, puffy clouds sat at the line where sky met sea, keeping a discreet distance. They only moved closer to the island at sunset, often providing David and Margaret with a fantastic light show of pink and red and yellow. Day and night abruptly exchanged places, and under the cover of darkness the clouds occasionally crept over the island. They often went to sleep on a sultry, humid evening, then woke in the morning to a jungle dripping with the night's rain.

Telling:

It was a cold day.

Showing:

For the rest of the afternoon the pond was alive with the muffled sound of metal blades scraping on windswept, uneven ice mixed with chatter and laughter. Occasionally a cracking sound echoed off the densely treed, steep hillsides when two wooden sticks collided. The sun, a pale white disk, barely succeeded its feeble attempt to penetrate the icy haze in the platinum sky.

Is it worth an extra ten bucks?

-- Sandra Cormier

Excerpt One is from my first novel The Space Between (July 2007). Excerpt Two (unedited) is from my upcoming novel Bad Ice (July 2008).
posted by Sandra Cormier at 6:17 PM |

11 Comments:

At April 1, 2008 at 8:23 PM, Blogger Elaina Lee said........
Is it worth the effort? How much more is the chef making? Showing instead of telling, while much more satisfying to read, is horribly hard to write. I've pointed my finger at my screen and yelled 'you suck showing!' more times than I care to admit. I have made an enemy of the necessary step. If I could park my behind in the 'telling' booth and remain blissfully ignorant to the high-class 'showing' café down the street, I don't think I'd complain one bit. But, sigh, I am aware of the gourmet differences and will never be able to turn back to anything less.
 


At April 1, 2008 at 8:26 PM, Blogger Zee said........
That was excellent...and I don't even like breakfast. Except when I'm on a road trip and then... I'm a sucker for any menu, laminated or leather.

Good ol' show don't tell. Somewhere, from my "teaching-junior-high" days, I have a t-shirt emblazoned with that canon.

Love the picture, too!
 


At April 1, 2008 at 9:42 PM, Blogger Zara Penney said........
Ahem. Is Alphonse part of the deal?
 


At April 1, 2008 at 9:49 PM, Blogger Gina Ardito aka Katherine Brandon said........
A perfect analogy! Except it made me hungry. I think you could expand this into an article (hint, hint!) or workshop that writers would flock to! Just a thought, m'dear...
 


At April 1, 2008 at 11:14 PM, Blogger Shari Boullion said........
What a great example! Writers have such a hard time with this and you're done a wonderful job of 'showing' how to show.

Two thumbs up.
 


At April 2, 2008 at 8:15 AM, Blogger Judith Leger said........
Hee hee, hold on, I'm off to get breakfast at diner enshrouded in mist, bundled against the the chill and enjoying the warm rich flavor of java!

Great post. Yep, listen to Gina! This would be a very informative workshop or article!
 


At April 2, 2008 at 10:14 AM, Blogger Katie said........
Before I dash into my kitchen to make cheese eggs, toast and bacon, let me just say that showing/telling is my nemisis.

Maybe when someone who shall remain nameless is finished with Alphonse, I could borrow him for my own personal showing versus telling class. "Oh show me, Alphonse!!!"

I'll do anything to be a better writer!
 


At April 2, 2008 at 4:28 PM, Blogger Liane Spicer said........
Sign me up for the private tuition with Alphonse, please. Enjoyed the lesson, Sandra. You make it look so easy.

Nice blog. Great links too.
 


At April 2, 2008 at 6:39 PM, Blogger Sandra Cormier said........
Thanks, gals...

Holy crap! I totally forgot the HOME FRIES! My favourite part!
 


At April 2, 2008 at 8:34 PM, Blogger Peggy B. said........
Mmmm, breakfast! I wake up dreaming of what I'm gonna eat. Your comments were dead on about show instead of tell.

Since studying this point in depth lately to strengthen my writing, I notice when I read a popular author, I tend to critique their work. It seems to me that lots of authors who put out a couple of books a year are let off the hook and are no longer careful. I hope I never reach this point! I want my readers to always enjoy my writing!!!

Happy hump day!

Peggy B.
www.peggyborel.com
 


At April 2, 2008 at 11:05 PM, Blogger Unknown said........
We're more of a hash brown house our here...not easily found in our neck of the woods.

Definitely want to write like Alphonse.

And be paid the premium too! :-).