I wanted to wait a little to post after miss Rebecca (I LOVED the content) and it made me think: what do you remember most from a book? or maybe I should phrase it what do you look for in a book?
I just finished reading Rhett Butler's People (as a HUGE GWTW fan, I couldn't wait to get my hands on this) and I'm absolutely amazed. There were mirrored scenes but the perspectives were so different, yet BOTH authors "understood" the characters! (I don't want to post spoilers, but the ending had me going "NO!!!" and begging for a sequel)
What I remembered:
1) how the same scenes were described by two people and BOTH were amazing
2) (unfortunately) the headhopping POV. but it didn't matter, the book was so engaging!
What I was looking forward to in the book:
1) Rhett's perspective
2) revisiting the story from another angle
3) more characters!
And all were answered.
Okay, back to the point. On another chat, we were discussing cliches in romance and redundant categories. In Leigh Michaels 'Writing the Romance Novel' she breaks down romances by theme: era, hidden baby, chick-lit... etc...
During the thread, someone had mentioned reading the same(paraphrased) line in two different books - same theme. (No, I'm not touching on Cassie Edwards, promise!)
Which someone replied, there is no new material in romance.
ACK! Say it isn't so!
BUT, what do you think?
When you look for a new book, do you consider these:
1) familiar author
2) desired theme (era, hidden baby)
3) if you read a specific category/line (erotic, sweet, teen) will you read a new author because it's that line?
4) friend's recommendation
Whoops, I guess there are several questions in this post :)

posted by Sydney Shay at 3:49 PM

So, in answer to your question I don't really give too much thought to how I choose my the books I read. If the first paragraph grabs me then I'll keep reading!