Thursday, April 10, 2008
13 Movies to inspire with Romantic Themes:

Here are 13 movies which fed my romantic heart and often inspired -

13. Only You (1994 - PG) - Marisa Tomei and Robert Downey Jr. star in this romantic comedy you can actually watch with the family! Funny, often sweet, with a nail biting 'will they really get together?!', can't go wrong with this movie.

12. Serendipity (2001 - PG-13) - Kate Beckinsale and John Cusack. While classified as a comedy, there weren't many laugh out loud moments in this (in my opinion). But the wistful wishing of the hero and heroine to find each other after so many years definitely brings in tons of romance to make up for the lack of comedy.

11. Sweet Home Alabama (2002 - PG-13) - Reese Witherspoon, Josh Lucas and Patrick Dempsey star in this funny romance with a heroine who gets caught up in a love triangle of her own making! Living in Alabama, I naturally had to choose this one.

10. Just Like Heaven (2005 - PG-13) - Reese Witherspoon and Mark Ruffalo. Just Like Heaven was a pleasant surprise. A bitter-sweet romance that often was funny when the storyline was anything but.

9. Gross Pointe Blank (1997 - R) - John Cusak and Minnie Driver. Despite the rather depressing and often violent content (can't have a movie about an assassin without there being some violence) I found this movie hilarious. John Cusak was brilliant in this film as was Minnie Driver as the one the Hero let get away...

8. Music from Another Room (1998 - PG-13) - Gretchen Mol and Jude Law. A sweet romantic comedy with a sub-plot that drives the story as much as the hero and heroine. This movie, completely unknown to me before I sat down and watched it, blew me away. The story, the struggle of the heroine to accept love and of the hero to prove how much he cares for the heroine and their destiny to be together is so inspiring.

7. Shakespeare in Love (1998 - R) - Gwyneth Paltrow and Ralph Fiennes. I waited too long to watch this movie! Just having seen it two years ago, I was honestly a little scared, knowing what I know about Shakespeare... But this film left me feeling surprisingly warm and fuzzy.

6. King Arthur (2004 - PG-13) - Clive Owen and Keira Knightley. While not classified as a romance, let's face it, King Arthur is a romantic tale. And, I can forgive the lack of betrayal that was, in my opinion, essential in the tale of King Arthur. I just enjoyed this movie that much.

5. Passionada (2002 - PG-13) - Sofia Milos and Jason Isaacs. If you've never seen this movie (or heard of it for that matter), I highly recommend it. Especially for Jason Isaacs fans. You see a side to him in this film you never see before. Soft, kind and... a loser! Oh yes, a loser who falls head over heals in love! Very romantic and sexy, this movie will get you in the romantic writing mood.

4. The Count of Monte Cristo (2002 - PG-13) - Jim Caviezel, Guy Pearce and Dagmara Dominczyk. Again, another one that's not technically a romance... then again what else would you call this tale of lost love which turns forbidden? Ah okay, all that revenge stuff just makes it even better! Plus... we have a very young Henry Cavill in this, who we all know went on to do great and wonderful things in The Tudors. Oh yes, this movie definitely inspires!

3. Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken (1991 - G) - Gabrielle Anwar and Michael Schoeffling. An awesomely inspiring tale of human spirit, will and enduring love. This movie never fails to leave me with goosebumps at the end.

2. Romancing the Stone (1984 - PG) - Kathleen Turner and Michael Douglas. You had to know this would be on the list. An action/adventure tale about... a romance author! Plus, lets face it, this is one of the few romantic comedies your husband will actually sit through!

1. Disney's Beauty and the Beast (1991 - G) - This is the movie that started it all. My father took me to see Beauty and the Beast in the theatres and boy did it ever make an impression on me! My husband took me again on our one year wedding anniversary to see the film at the I-Max and that was an experience I'll never forget. Romantic to the point of tear-jerking (for me anyways) you can't go wrong when you're just in the mood for romance with Beauty and the Beast.

So, what do you think should have made the list? What romantic movies inspire you?

Sadie
posted by Elaina Lee at 7:27 AM |

6 Comments:

At April 10, 2008 at 10:23 AM, Blogger Unknown said........
Ah, I would add When Harry Met Sally. One of my all time favorite romances.

The Wedding Singer. Hmm, a bit of a theme with these two. Realizing what you thought you wanted growing up is not what you want as a mature adult...

And, of course, The Princess Bride.
"True Love."

Great list Sadie!
 


At April 10, 2008 at 11:44 AM, Blogger Shari Boullion said........
Dirty Dancing
and, although it doesn't end in a typical romance way, Ghost has always been on the top of my romantic movies.

Yes, Ellie--Princess Bride is awesome!
 


At April 10, 2008 at 12:40 PM, Blogger Gina Ardito aka Katherine Brandon said........
I've done this list on my website at least once or twice.

Arthur
Ever After
(2 versions of the same Cinderella story)
While You Were Sleeping
Bridget Jones's Diary

Most of the classics:

Sabrina (either version)
The Scarlet Pimpernel (any version)
Pride and Prejudice (any version)

The list goes on and on... I think each of us could come up with a list of 13 with few overlaps.
 


At April 10, 2008 at 1:40 PM, Blogger Leslie Ann Dennis said........
Great list of movies. I'll have to check out Music from Another Room, I've never seen that one.

Oh, and Shakespeare in Love had Joseph Fiennes not Ralph Fiennes. (I only know this b/c I like Ralph much better than his younger brother... so that's the only turn-off I had with Shakespeare in Love).

I also agree with every movie Gina added as well... ahhh.... now I need to go watch a movie!!! I need inspiration!!

Good job, Sadie.
 


At April 12, 2008 at 12:12 AM, Blogger Sandra Cormier said........
Don't forget our dear Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice! I haven't seen the new one, but the one with Colin Firth and Emma Thompson... ohhhh!

Here's a cute one - Mr. Deeds. Another one with Adam Sandler and Winona Ryder.

Great list!
 


At April 15, 2008 at 8:08 PM, Blogger Unknown said........
All the above plus:

Bull Durham
For the Love of the Game (okay, I'm a sucker for Kevin Costner in a baseball uniform...yummmm!)
The Holiday with Kate Winslet, Cameron Diaz, Jack Black and Jude Law