Saturday, February 2, 2008
The untimely death of Heath Ledger led me to think about the one DVD I have in my possession which features this remarkable actor – A Knight's Tale. It is loosely based on one of Geoffrey Chaucer's Canterbury Tales. I had a small copy of the book, but couldn't wrap my feeble brain around the medieval prose.

That led me to think about another book that's been sitting around the house for a few years – The Hack's Tale. David Hughes attempts to tap into the minds and travels of three writers: Chaucer, Jean Froissart and Giovanni Boccaccio.

He attempts to illustrate how these three contemporaries heralded the beginning of the media age – forerunners to our news shows, newspapers and hordes of paparazzi following Britney all over the globe. He sees reporters. Hacks, if you will.

But I see three writers who traveled to new places, whether to escape the plague-ridden crowds in the big cities, to hole themselves up in villas to write in peace, or to sit in dark, damp drinking holes to observe the unwashed masses over a few pints.

Was it so different seven hundred years ago? Instead of our own feet or the hooves of some rented horse, we hop into cars, trains or planes in order to seek a place where we can find our muse. Those of us who are lucky enough to afford travel can use this method. For the rest of us, only a quiet corner of the dining room will do, or we must soak up culture from other sources – movies, documentaries or reference books. Or that recent and most efficient tool, the Internet.

How do you do your research? Do you travel? Do you sit unnoticed in a tapas bar in Spain to absorb the local flavour? Or do you use my method, gliding all over the world on a cyber surfboard, catching what I can with electronic fingers?

--Sandra Cormier

Labels: ,

posted by Sandra Cormier at 9:49 PM |

5 Comments:

At February 6, 2008 at 5:23 PM, Blogger Zee said........
Funny you should mention this. The other evening I poured a glass of sherry and read the journal of my last trip to Paris. I had not read that in ages. Mesmerizing. I love to travel. Now my palms itch to go again. I miss Paris. I've always dreamed of living in Paris for about a year -- to learn French, to listen, to haunt the art galleries. I'm attracted to cathedrals. Past life?

I love to write while traveling on a train. The clickety clack and the rhythm and the blur of little villages -- catching quick glimpses of singular images like one old man on a bicycle with a baguette of bread sticking out his buttoned shirt.

I suppose my first love is to experience research in the flesh. I also like to bury myself in the library under stacks of books. I spent my academic life ferreting out some great nooks and crannies of the library -- quiet corners in the balcony where I could study, dream, and even watch people. Perfect.

Nowdays... yes, it's the internet. But I don't have the same satisfaction of getting out of my everyday mindset. I miss the physical change that moving away from home brings -- I miss being on the quest. Maybe I need a trip, eh? Paris!
 


At February 6, 2008 at 5:30 PM, Blogger Zara Penney said........
Both. I'll go somewhere and be inspired. Like a street in Greenwich Village in New York. Or I'll watch a movie and suddenly a plot will appear to me. I don't usually cyber for inspiration. I'll have the inspiration and then cyber. There are easy places to imagine. But some are more difficult and you need to be there to imagine it.

For instance I had a map of Benin City, Nigeria, in my bag on my way to live there for two years, via a visit to my parents. "What's it like?" my father asked me. In all my world-wisely ways I had studied this map. An orderly line of streets stretching out like a spider web from a central core at which the Oba's palance sat. "A bit like Canberra." I said.

Canberra was designed in the twenties by Walter Burleigh Griffin, around a lake, a new parliament house. Loads of green parks and leisurely orderliness. A politician's town. Monotonous almost in its fanatical neatness.

Benin? Ha! The smells, the sights, the chaos. The iron smell of that iron-filled earth. I will never forget it. You can never imagine this. You have to live it. The masses. The cars. The sound of people moving, living. The violence of the night. The confusion of the day.

And parks? If there's one it doesn't stay for long. You continually battle the green growth. This is a place that is a jungle battling against the human occupants.

And the rain. It can fill a bucket in half a minute in an afternoon shower during the rainy season.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying you can't imagine. That'd be like saying you cannot write a novel set in the 1700's in the Scottish Highlands. Or in Regency times - we know that's not true. But it's harder and needs loads of research.

But do you remember writing a novel on a manual typewriter with a carbon copy tucked between two sheets?
 


At February 6, 2008 at 6:17 PM, Blogger Sandra Cormier said........
I did the carbon copy route when I did a short stint as a sports reporter.

How I wish I'd been more diligent with my journals when I traveled to places like Spain, Geneva, Algeria and Mexico. How was I to know I'd be a novelist one day?

I think my Algeria journal was sucked into the vortex that is my 50's bungalow. Maybe it'll resurface someday. I managed to find the yearbook, didn't I?
 


At February 6, 2008 at 6:42 PM, Blogger Zara Penney said........
It's hard to keep a diary. When I travel it's the sights and the sounds and I'm greedy. I can't miss outon anything. I'm very visual. I hate catnapping in the car cos I'm missing something. I couldn't keep awake in the Amish area in Philly. Kept waking up and finding me asleep!
 


At February 11, 2008 at 4:00 PM, Blogger Leslie Ann Dennis said........
I have been around the world. Yep. Sure have. In my armchair, that is. I'll admit I'm a very seasoned armchair traveler. I wish I had the means to travel around to these wonderful places I write about physically, but alas, until I hit the lottery... travel books and DVDs are as good as it gets.

Great question!