Sunday, March 9, 2008
I've been thinking a lot the past few days about written identity vs. our real selves. Many of my critique partners will tell you I go bat-crazy when someone messes with my voice. Why? Because my voice on the page reflects the real me struggling over the page. There's very little difference between my written identity and my real self.

To be honest, I probably would make a poor spy and an even worse superhero. Because I can't just change who I am at the drop of a hat. Unlike Clark Kent, if I slick back my hair and put on nerdy glasses, I'm still Gina...with my hair slicked back and nerdy glasses. A cape and thigh high red boots do not change my snarky sense of humor, my often too-large heart, and my love for kids and animals. (It might, however, improve my love life.) There is no brand name that will change who I am and how I see myself. This is probably why I'm not impressed with fancy homes, shoes that cost more than my first car, or purses with someone else's initials emblazoned all over the fabric. Issues that resonate with me when I'm sitting in my three-bedroom ranch house would mean just as much to me if I was a guest at a five-star resort in Tahiti. With me, what you see is what you get. For good or bad, richer or poorer, in sickness and in health.

If I call you "friend"--even if I only know you online, I value you as a friend. You can trust that I'm honest with you. I don't create an online persona that isn't clearly who I am in real life. I will not pepper my speech or posts with "facts" that are not true. I will not try to manipulate you into feeling something for me with lies or innuendo. I am me. And that's enough.

Which brings me back to my writing self. All of my characters--no matter how minor, no matter their gender--have something strongly indicative of me (a manner of speaking, a quirk, a favorite memory, etc.) built into their personalities. Okay, so I admit, I'm not 5'10" with long black hair and a killer body like one or two of my heroines, but I'm not talking about looks. I'm referring, of course, to soul. Soul: the wondrous bit of one's self that should be incorruptible, constant, and unique to each individual.

How much of your soul appears in your written work? Your online life? Or are you...perhaps...a spy? Inquiring minds want to know.

Labels: , ,

posted by Gina Ardito aka Katherine Brandon at 7:18 PM |

7 Comments:

At March 9, 2008 at 8:15 PM, Blogger Zara Penney said........
Somebody once told me that my characters, my illustrations, look like me. I hated this. I wanted to be versatile. But no matter what I did, they still looked like me. And I found out that this is because they are me.

And the same with my characters. My characters are versions of me. Me being good, being bad, being selfish. Often when I return to edit I write something into the text only to find it a few phrases away from where I'm redoing it. Sometimes its better when I put it the second time, but mostly it was okay where it was so I revert back to the original freshly worked, spontaneous echo of me, my voice and I.

And yes. Can't say that I'd say no to being ultra rich, travel around in my own Lear Jet, buy every lovely home in every lovely city I feel like living in. "The grass is always greener on the other side" the rich tell us. And assure us it's not all its cracked up to be. Sure beats a speeding ticket on the highway I'm sure.

But once my mother said to me:

"Darling you must be so happy with your lovely home." Lucky I have one? Yes. Happy? Just because I have it? That's the difference between my mother and I. For her it's all the showcase. Look the part is self fulfilling prophecy.

No. Sorry.

For me it's inner ambition. My soul ambition. My soul is driven to the pursuit of ambitions I set myself. Mine is creative. WRiting to me is as breathing. It's automatic - I have no control over it. It consumes me, overtakes me.

And so for myself I can safely say:

I write therefore I am.
 


At March 10, 2008 at 9:18 PM, Blogger Shakespeares Sister said........
My heroines are usually a little bit of me, but not much. Like you, G, I can't help but be myself, even if it's fodder for eyeball-rolling. :-) I'm a lot of heart and also like you, I love and trust my friends at face value. I do have this weird thin line, though, that once someone crosses by hurting me enough times, I can never go back. I don't know if that makes me a non-forgiver/non-forgetter. It's a defense mechanism that just kicks in, I guess.

Unlike you, though, I love purses with other people's initials splashed all over them. LOL Especially "DB" and Coach. heehee Plus, fancy homes are always a big fat YES for me. I am ridiculously materialistic when it comes to having a beautiful environment. I wish it weren't so (And so does my husband's wallet--LOL), but I'm a frustrated decorator and I love the beautiful things of this world.

Listen, you may not be 5'10" with long black hair and a killer bod (you're actually 5'10" with long RED hair and a killer bod), but you're one of the most beautiful people I know.

And as for me...5'nuthin" is all she wrote, folks. But I laugh at everyone's jokes. :-)
 


At March 10, 2008 at 9:21 PM, Blogger Leslie Ann Dennis said........
There's a little bit of Leslie in all her characters. Even when she types in a blog, she uses third person to describe herself. Odd girl.

She liked your post, though, Gina. Her people will call your people.

*she hugs you here*
(insert name)
 


At March 11, 2008 at 1:30 PM, Blogger Judith Leger said........
Well, I certainly needed to read this. It's so very true. Every time I write this is exactly what I'm searching for in my characters. I want their souls to shine through so that in some way the reader can see and relate to them.

And yes, I can see it in your characters too.

Thanks for posting. Great Blog!

Judy
 


At March 12, 2008 at 3:36 PM, Blogger Unknown said........
I'm afraid I'm the same boat with you sweetie. I pour my soul on the page and I'll defend my voice to the death. It's my essence, my guts, my reason for writing...even if the names and events have been changed to protect the innocent ;)
 


At March 12, 2008 at 7:27 PM, Blogger Sandra Cormier said........
I don't know if it's a result of being a middle child, a Gemini or a kid who moved to a new town every year, but I find myself to be a bit of a chameleon.

I try to blend in wherever possible. I know my basic personality shines through, but my laugh tends to change according to the person I hang out with the most. My behaviour can switch from goofy to serious, depending on the atmosphere around me.

Do my characters seem like me? Maybe the first heroine in The Space Between. After all, I was trying my wings.

They say "Write what you know."

Who knows me better than me?
 


At March 15, 2008 at 3:37 PM, Blogger Unknown said........
Oh yes, I can see that!

Of course you forgot to put in that your heroines are sharp and witty, just like a certain person I could name. :-).

Definitely I put a bit of myself in my characters. Fear of heights, dependency on coffee, and the tendency to always look for the silver lining are just a few.

Great post!