Thursday, April 17, 2008
Romance is in the air. The fresh fragrance of Spring also awakens my writing call. I love to write in the Spring and in the Fall. Spring gives me the impression of newness and Fall centers on closure for the year and for a novel, short story or even a chapter. I love both seasons!

I love romance novels. From the time I was fifteen and reading Gothics, I loved the romance of the stories. Then I switched to full blown romances. My first romance was Rosemary Rogers, 'Savage Love'. Oh Lord, the experience left me drooling for more. I grabbed any and every romance I could find. Katherine Woodiwiss blew me away, Johanna Lindsey fired my desires, and so many more that I could go on forever. They were excellent and inspired my own imagination.

LOL! I remember once, I told my Mom about this wonderful new author I'd found. She too had found one she wanted me to read. So I went up to her house for the weekend and brought the book with me so that we could trade. To my surprise, it was the same book. Which one? 'The Black Lyon' by Jude Devereux. I wrote to Ms. Devereux and told her what happened. She responded with short note card, handwritten by her, telling me how much she appreciated my enjoyment of her book. Such class.

Today there are some fantastic romance authors too. My favorites are listed on the side here. They also happen to be some of my very best friends. Hopefully one day I will be able to stand along side of some of these greats!
posted by Judith Leger at 3:17 PM |

4 Comments:

At April 17, 2008 at 3:42 PM, Blogger Gina Ardito aka Katherine Brandon said........
Why, Judy, darling! You already stand beside us. We're equals. Each of us on the same path.

I remember The Black Lyon. Gold cover with a black lion belt wrapped around the middle. To be honest, though I've never met Jude, I've yet to meet any romance author who didn't have a warm, generous spirit. I think it's a necessity for the genre we write.
 


At April 17, 2008 at 3:54 PM, Blogger Elaina Lee said........
I love the promise a romance novel is sure to deliver. A happy ending. No matter how awful things get, you know in the end you will close the book with a smile. Other genre's can't make that promise. And Spring, full of promises too... renewal, growth, fresh beginnings. I would have to agree, definitely the time of year for romance!
 


At April 17, 2008 at 6:47 PM, Blogger Zara Penney said........
One of the most memorable for me, apart from the obvious GWTW Scarlett, Rhett - was a little Mills and Boon called:

LEOPARD IN THE SNOW.

It was by Anne Weale who sadly died recently.

And the next memorable lot were where the aspect of comedy made me sit up and look. Jilly Cooper was the author and the little series was a set of them and come fully recommended for anyone who can find them - especially if you write comedy:

Emily
Bella
Prudence
Imogen
Octavia

These are delightful because they are what made this author famous. I never caught onto her bigger boom busters because to me they just didn't have the aspect of spontaneous combustion that the above, her first novels achieve.

This happens a lot - movies, painters, you name it. The originals are often the best...

But that'd be the basis for another blog wouldn't it.
 


At April 17, 2008 at 9:51 PM, Blogger Sandra Cormier said........
I feel privileged to be on that little list on the right. I only hope I can rise to the Devereaux plateau!