Thursday, April 24, 2008
Author: Writer, novelist
Storyteller: Narrator, teller of tales

As an author, I have been told by many editors and agents over the past year that the descriptions of my settings are wonderful, my secondary characters shine, but my main characters are not 3D enough, they lack life. Frustrated, I surfed the web, read many books, and talked to other writers. Still my heroine and hero stayed flat.

Recently I attended a conference in Houma, Louisiana. One of the sessions I sat in on was with an author by the name of Ernest Hill. Let me tell, you! If I have a chance to attend a workshop by this man, I will be first in line. He is not only an author, but he is a fantastic storyteller. From the moment the session started, he had me sitting on the edge of my seat. Through his spoken words, he painted a picture so vivid of his characters, I felt I knew them personally.

That day I learned the missing dimension to my writing. I simply wasn't digging down deep enough into the very core and soul of my characters. I was only brushing the surface of their personalities. Kind of like yesterday's blog, I wasn't looking past the makeup to who they really are.

Below are two sentences where I try to bring out a character's inner feelings, hoping that you'll connect more with her. Remember! I'm still learning...

1. Lisa turned away from Lance, hiding the tears that slipped down her cheek. Why was he telling her about this affair this now? Now, when her world was already crashing down around her. How much more could she take?

2. His words slammed into her gut like a balled fist. Spoken words spilled from his mouth, from lips she loved to kiss, strangling her heart. Disbelief twisted into her mind that refused to believe. She gazed into his eyes, searching his soul for what she wanted to be true, but seeing naked truth instead. He wasn't lying...this time. Another woman shared his bed. Blinding anger seared through her. In that split second, she wished the bitch dead.

Happy learning! I'm off to write my characters more 3D. See y'all tomorrow!

Peggy A. Borel
http://www.peggyborel.com/
posted by Peggy B. at 3:01 PM |

2 Comments:

At April 24, 2008 at 8:03 PM, Blogger Zara Penney said........
The second sentence is very punchy. :-)
 


At April 25, 2008 at 6:05 AM, Blogger Gina Ardito aka Katherine Brandon said........
It's all about deeper POV and layers, Peggy! Your second sample is a much deeper POV, and you've given your character more depth by fully entering her head. Eureka! You have found the formula at last!